1916 School

Next

In 1915, the Northern Construction Company of Grand Forks, whose bid of $22,206 was the lowest, was awarded the contract for the construction of a new school building at Granville, North Dakota. The new school was dedicated on February 4, 1916.

Granville's new school building was dedicated on a Friday evening, February 4th, with a banquet and program. Addresses were made by by Superintendent Taylor, President Craine, and County Superintendent Berg. The school's glee club, Miss Nash, the music teacher, and the city's orchestra, furnished the music for the program. J.H. Clemons, the city superintendent, was in charge of the program.

Here is a brief description of the school, as related by Corabelle Brown, and recorded in "Granville: A Community Which Refuses to Die", compiled by Carol Henke Brooks, and published for Granville's bicentennial in 1976.

granvillefirstschool

Basement

The building's basement is placed well above ground in order to allow ample light to reach all of its rooms. The basement holds a manual training room, gymnasium, two locker rooms, a fan room, boiler room, fuel room, and well room.

The manual training room is 22x28-feet in size, and well lighted.

The agricultural room was the same size as the manual training room. It had an outside entrance, so that the soils, vegetables and animals needed for experimentation could be brought directly into the room. In this room, soil tests, germination tests, and the study of different farm animals were carried out, both for the sake of student learning and the good of the area's agricultural community.

The gymnasium was 28x60-feet in size, without any pillars or posts, and fifteen feet high, allowing basketball games to be held on the premises.

The boiler and fan rooms are at the back of the building, and held two large Kewanee boilers to heat the building, while the adjoining fuel room is used to hold two carloads of lignite coal.

The fan room contains the fan, gasoline engine, and the coils that heat the air as it is forced up into the different rooms of the building. At the back of the fan room were the air intakes. The air is drawn through these intakes, passed through four large stacks or coils heated by the boilers and, in turn, heated to seventy degrees before being sent to the different rooms. The amount of air forced into each room is changed every twenty minutes, providing pure, warm air to every pupil in the building at all times. The foul air extractors carry the foul air up through the building and out through the roof.

First Floor

The first floor contains four large grade rooms, with a cloak room and teacher's closet for each room. There is also a room designated as a recitation room, which also contains the plumbing for the building.

The entrance to the building is three steps above grade level, and contains two three-foot doors. These doors are fitted with panic locks, so that the smallest child in the building can open the door from the inside and, while the doors can be locked from the outside like any ordinary door, they are never locked from the inside of the building. These doors lead into the vestibule from which the stairs go to the first level, and two sets of stairs lead down into the basement.

Second Floor

On the second floor are two large grade rooms, with cloak rooms, coat rooms for girls and boys, a large assembly room, and an office in the front over the landing. One of these recitation rooms is constructed so as to be used for a stage to be used for special events in the school building, and is eighteen inches above the assembly room. The recitation room is shut off from the assembly room by rolling partitions which, when rolled up, give an opening almost the full width of the room.

© 2012-2013 NODAK.info