Methodist

A Brief History of the Holiness Methodist Church

The Holiness Methodist Church building was moved to Granville, North Dakota in 1924. Prior to its use as a Methodist church, the building had served as a schoolhouse, three miles east of Granville.

Andrew Peterson was the minister at the time that the church was moved into Granville. Pastor and Mrs. Herbert Rue came in the spring of 1925.

In 1924, a basement was built for use as classrooms.

Holiness Methodist Church

History of Mount Carmel Camp from 1907-1956

The first camp was held in 1907, as the result of an unusual revival that occurred in the Methodist Churches of Granville and Saline in 1906 and 1907.

C.A. Thompson was the pastor of the Granville church, while W.J. Rice pastored the Saline congregation. Many were saved during these revivals, and a decision was made to hold a camp meeting.

The Rev. Thompson had met W.C. Ehlers and, knowing him to be a true holiness man, he engaged him as evangelist for the meeting. The praying, the shouting, and the numbers of people seeking the Lord at the altar were long spoken about. The theme of the camp meeting was "Room at the Fountain", as that song was sung over and over again.

Soon after, Ehlers and Thompson entered evangelistic work, and the Northwestern Holiness Association was formed. The Association bought the land that encompassed the campground from George Grogan, and this campground became an annual gathering place.

In 1920, the Association changed its name to Holiness Methodist Church, and Mount Carmel continued to serve as the church's main camp, with people frequently coming from Minnesota and as far away as Great Falls, Montana, or further.

During the 1930s, a depression came over Mount Carmel. Attendance at camp meetings diminished, and there was talk of moving or even discontinuing the camp meetings. However, between the camp meetings of 1947 and 1948, many people were inspired to revive the camp. It was reported that when one person would speak to another that something ought to be done, it would be found that the other had already been thinking along the same lines.

The result was that a building and improvement program was begun. The tabernacle was shingled and repaired. Concrete floors were put in, and new seats provided. A light plant replaced the old gasoline lanterns, and other improvements were made.

Eight family tents, two large dormitory tents, and twenty-two other tents were purchased for the camp, and the work continued.

© 2012-2013 NODAK.info