William & Emma LaValley

William LaValley was born at Albert Lea, Minnesota. Emma Stallen was born at Winnebago Township, Iowa. Although they were in different states, the distance between their homes was about six miles.

William and Emma were married on November 12, 1902, in Iowa. By way of coincidence, without knowing one another, David and Florence Boutilier were married at the same place, and on the same date, although they would not meet until both couples arrived in Granville, North Dakota.

William and Emma moved to Enderlin, North Dakota in the fall of 1903, remaining there until until May, 1905, when they moved on to Granville, North Dakota. Emma's two brothers, Pullin and Pete, had arrived in Granville in 1899, receiving their homesteads that year. Another of Emma's brothers, Sever, filed a homestead in Granville in 1902. Two of Emma's uncles, Andrew and Eric, had also been in Granville since 1887.

At that time, outside of the train depot, there were no stores in Granville. Before there were stores in Granville, Andrew and Eric had to trade at Towner or Velva, making the trip by horse and buggy. Oxen were used for field work.

Most of the early pioneers settled near the river, where trees grew, so that they could obtain wood for heating and building materials. Andrew and Eric built their log barn in the sand hills, using a large oak that grew there as building materials.

In Granville, Emma helped an elderly couple by the name of Christianson, who boarded the Great Northern Railway section crew. Emma did housework and cooking for a few weeks.

The LaValleys built a sod house on their homestead claim. William worked along the river for a man by the name of Sam Covell. He put in a few crops, and took other jobs to supplement his resources.

For four seasons, he borrowed the same Buffalo Pitts steam engine from the Wolhowe family, who had purchased it new in 1905. He also worked for Mr. Wolhowe, as a separator man in threshing operations from the Granville area all the way to the vicinity of Karlsruhe, putting in long days away from home.

The children attended school wherever one was opened. For a time, they attended school in Riga, after the Rosehill school was closed in 1919.

William and Emma LaValley had five children, three girls and two boys.

© 2012-2013 NODAK.info