Stubbins Family

Clayton A. Stubbins might be considered the founder of Granville, as it was on his homestead that the original townsite of Granville, North Dakota is located. The portion of the city that is on the east side of Main Street, which was plotted in October of 1900, was once part of Clayton Stubbins' homestead.

In the summer of 1899, Clayton Stubbins' father, George E. Stubbins, came from Britt, Iowa on a land-seeking tour. He traveled over the several rail lines in North Dakota, and made an overland trip from Velva to Granville, which had been established as a railroad station in 1886. George Stubbins was impressed with the land surrounding Granville, and decided to relocate there.

His sons, Clayton A., George H., and Eugene W. Stubbins followed him to Granville, and all of them made homesteading claims on adjoining tracts, a section line dividing the homesteads of George E. Stubbins and Clayton A. Stubbins, and it was on this land that the town of Granville was founded.

Eugene W. Stubbins filed on the land on which the townsite of Norwich is situated, and George A. Stubbins'  homestead was to the north of his father's claim, across the Great Northern Railway tracks.

Lots were sold on the east side of Main Street in 1901, and the west side of the street was plotted in 1902.

One of the first building put up on the east side of Main Street was the Granville Herald Building, which was built by the Stubbins family, and used as a bank for several years. In 1903, the stone bank building made of native prairie stone was completed.

Clayton A. Stubbins built a set of farm buildings on the land acquired through the Homestead Act and, while he was engaged in the operations of the Granville State Bank for many years after it was built in 1901, he continued to devote time to his farm, enlarging holdings from time to time. The Stubbins Land and Loan Company was a subsidiary branch of the bank, and was established after the erection of the two-story building on the west side of Main Street.

Clayton was one of the first to become a member of Ashlar Lodge No. 69 A.F. & A.M. after that lodge was established in Granville, North Dakota. He was also a member of the Eastern Star chapter, and an officer in the Congregational Church. He served as a director on the local school board for years, and was an active member of the Granville Community Club.

Clayton A. Stubbins was active in the Republican Party, and was a contributor to many worthy causes.

Clayton had been born in New Hampton, Iowa on March 11, 1873, and moved with his parents to Britt in 1880, growing to adulthood there. He attended public and business schools, and assisted his father in the operation of a department store in Britt. Later, in Britt, he was also employed in other mercantile endeavors.

Clayton came to Granville in the fall of 1899, but returned to Britt, where he was married to Molly F. Schrader on January 10, 1900. Almost immediately after the marriage, he and his wife returned to Granville, where Clayton established himself in the city and surrounding area.

Clayton A. Stubbins died in 1942, just a few days before his sixty-ninth birthday.

Born in Finley, North Dakota, on August 13, 1888, Pearl Stanbury was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Stanbury, who were pioneer settlers in the Finlay region, homesteading there in the early 1880s. As a young woman, Pearl attended Valley City Normal School, and taught school in Granville for a couple of years.

In Granville, Pearl married George H. Stubbins in July of 1912. They moved to Stone Lake, Wisconsin, living there for several years, returning to Granville in the mid-1920s, where Pearl resumed teaching for about ten years.

Pearl was a member of Hope Congregational Church, and of Granville Chapter No. 47, Order of the Eastern Star.

George H. Stubbins died in 1930, and Pearl died at the age of seventy-four in June of 1963.

Ida, the wife of Eugene W. Stubbins was born in Canada on September 17, 1879. She moved to Norwich with her husband in 1903. Eugene founded the Norwich bank. Their home was constructed shortly after the turn of the century, just after the land was opened for settlement, and was one of the oldest buildings in Norwich.

Ida died in 1968. She was eighty-nine at the time of her death.

© 2012-2013 NODAK.info