Ernest & Verna Barkus

Ernest Cameron Barkus was born on August 19, 1887 near Marcus, Iowa. His parents were William H. and Lilly Jane Barkus. Ernest moved with his parents to Larchwood, Iowa. From there, they moved to Granville, North Dakota, arriving on May 2, 1902.

Verna Morrison was born on August 22, 1890 in Sutherland, Iowa. Her parents were U.G. and Rose Mae Morrison. Verna moved with her parents to Every, Iowa, and then to Granville, North Dakota in 1902.

Ernest and Verna were married in Towner, North Dakota on Ocober 29, 1908, and made their home in Egg Creek Township, McHenry County, North Dakota. Then, in 1916, they moved onto Ernest's father's homestead, where they lived until their deaths.

Ernest worked for the Great Northern Railroad when the branch line was built to Granville in 1903. He was a field man for the North Dakota Wool Association for several years, and was then fieldman for the Central Livestock Association until he retired. In his work, he covered western North Dakota and part of eastern Montana.

Ernest Barkus also served on the Egg Creek Township school board for several years, and was a member of the Modern Woodmen Lodge.

Mrs. Barkus was a member of the Order of Eastern Star for sixty-one years, and a charter member of the Alfalfa Meade Homemaker Club, a charter member of the American Legion Auxiliary. She was an organist for seventeen years, and worked with the Saline Baptist Ladies Aid Society. She served as precinct committeewoman for the Republican Party for many years.

While attending high school, she had been a correspondent for the Granville Record and, after her marriage, she was a correspondent for the Granville Herald. Mrs. Barkus wrote several years for the Mouse River Farmers Press, and the North Dakota Wool Association Magazine.

Mr. and Mrs. Barkus were both members of the Hope Congregational Church, and Mrs. Barkus was a member of the Women's Society.

They had four children: Lura (Mrs. Glen Hills), Lida (Mrs. J.T. Duncan), Duane, and Neil.

Mr. and Mrs. Barkus had been married for fifty-seven years when Ernest died at the age of seventy-eight in 1965.

© 2012-2013