Edwin Ehart Family

Thomas Newton Ehart was born in Saline County, near Sweet Springs, Missouri on September 28, 1847. His parents were Robert Ehart and Mary Northcut Pemberton Ehart.

He was married to Sarah Love King on August 1, 1870, near Sweet Springs. She was born on November 8, 1844. Her parents were William Love King and Eliza Wingfield Stockton King. Both of her parents died before she was sixteen but, as she and her brother, George, were the oldest, they kept the family together. Her nephews and nieces knew her as Aunt Shake.

The King family lived in St. Clair County, Missouri, righ on the Mason-Dixon line. When the Civl War broke out and Missouri was in the middle of the fighting, the children were given two wagons and two horses on each wagon, so that they could leave. Along the way, one of the horses died and their money and supplies were depleted. Upon reaching Saline County, they were befriended by the Louis Armentrouts. After the war, Sarah Love King returned to Saline County, Missouri and found that a trusted friend had taken all of the family's property, putting it in his name. She returned to her brothers and sisters, keeping house for them until she was married.

They came to Granville, North Dakota in 1902, and homesteaded in Saline Township, about eight miles from Granville, where they lived until their deaths. Mary Northcutt Pemberton Ehart died on March 23, 1906. Thomas Newton Ehart died on November 11, 1925, at the home of his daughter, north of Granville.

They had been members of the Baptist Church, and were buried in the Saline Cemetery, fourteen miles north of Granville.

They gave birth to five children. They were William Robert Ehart (1871-1873), Mary Eliza Ehart, who became Mrs. J.V. Lewis (1873-1856), Charlie Leslie Ehart (1876-1938), Jessie Sutherland Ehart, who became Mrs. Martin Carlyle (1885-1920), and Edwin Newton Ehart (1888-1931).

Edwin Newton Ehart came to Granville with his parents in 1902, growing up at their homestead in Saline Township, north of Granville. On November 25, 1909, he married Nelsina Severtson of Pelican Rapids, Minnesota.

They farmed north of Granville until 1911, when they moved to Hingham, Montana, where they proved up on a homestead.

In 1914, they returned to their old home in Saline Township, opening a garage in Granville in 1916, in partnership with his brother, Charlie. They were both good mechanics, and were soon also selling Oldsmobile cars. Edwin Ehart remained in business until 1926, when he retired due to ill health. He died on March 19, 1931, at his home in Granville.

While a young man, he became a member of the Baptist Church, and remained firm in his beliefs in Baptist principles.

He was a past master of Ashlar Lodge No. 69, A.F. & A.M., a member of Granville Chapter No. 47, Order of the Eastern Star, and of the Modern Woodmen of America.

Mrs. Nellie Ehart Skamfor had been born in Mahnomen, Minnesota on February 9, 1890. She was one of nine children of Swan and Anne Bakke Severtson, both Norwegian immigrants. She graduated from Moorhead State Normal School, and came to Granville to teach school in Saline Township, until she married Edwin Newton Ehart in 1909. They had two children: Thomas Clifton Jendahl Ehart and Sarah Love Ehart.

She took a course at the School of Beauty Culture in Minot in 1928, and opened her own beauty shop, which she ran until 1932, when she began working for government agencies in Towner, Stanley, and Bismarck as a home management supervisor.

In 1940, she moved to Washington State, returning for a few years when she married William Skamfor. They both moved to Washington, where they worked for the Boeing Company at Renton. Their one son, Thomas Clifton Ehart was born on November 19, 1910 in Granville, and graduated from Granville High School in 1928. Known as Steve, Thomas Clifton Ehart was married to Frances Smith in 1933, in the Congregational Church, and adopted two children, Tommy and Marnell.

Steve ran a Standard Oil gas station, then worked as a traveling representative for Fairmount Creamery before starting a banking career in Velva and Fessenden. He operated the Granville Service Agency for several years, and served in the U.S. Navy during World War II.

After his discharge from the Navy, he and his family moved to West Seattle, Washington, where he continued in the banking business.

© 2012-2013 NODAK.info