Covell & Potter Families

Delbert Edward Covell and his brother-in-law, D.W. Potter, came to North Dakota from Algona, Iowa in 1901, filing on homestead land in Egg Creek Township, north of Granville, North Dakota. After putting up some buildings and laying some fencing, they returned to Algona for the winter.

In March of 1902, they left Algona with several train cars full of livestock, household furnishings, and machinery. In April, Alice Luella Potter Covell arrived, accompanied by her father, O.A. Potter, who came to help her with her three year-old, Edward Stanton, and five year-old, Florence Luella, during the trip. While there, he also filed on land south of the hills, and adjoining Buffalo Lodge Lake on the west.

His paternal ancestors had arrived in America on the Mayflower There were four more children in the family: Mary Elizabeth (Mrs. Gale Oaley), Ralph Potter, Dorothy Alene (Mrs. Albert Lee), and John Herbert Potter.

D.E. Covell's family were from New York State, and had lived near Franklin Grove in Lee County, Illinois for several years before moving to Iowa.

D.E. Covell was instrumental in organizing a club in Egg Creek Township. In order to be eligible for membership, one must promise to plant at least one acre of alfalfa. He suggested the club be named Alfalfa Meade. The object of the club was to order carloads of fenceposts or other items in large quantities, that were needed by the pioneers. In the summer, while the men were busy, the women continued to meet as the Homemakers Club.

Florence Luella Potter married Clair Hills. Edward Stanton married Eva Moffatt, and Ralph married Tina Torgrimson.

© 2012-2013 NODAK.info