Brummonds

Edward and Margaret Brummond

Edward Brummond, and his younger brother, William George, came to North Dakota in 1901, staking a claim in Egg Creek Township in 1902.

Edward's parents, August and Mary Elizabeth Paul Brummond, came to the United States from Germany, settling in Wisconsin in 1858. August soon found himself involved in the American Civil War, fighting for the Union. August Brummond was a stone mason by trade, and lined wells from Wisconsin to Washington. He died in Idaho in 1924.

Edward Brummond was the fourth child of August and Mary Brummond. He was born on November 17, 1877, at Rippon, Wisconsin.

In the late 1800s, Edward Brummond moved to South Dakota. He lived in Brookings, and one of his first jobs was working in the White Roller Flour Mills at White, South Dakota.

During his time in South Dakota, Edward became interested in music. He and his brothers all learned to play some type of string instrument. Edward bought a harpsichord in 1890, and later played in an all-string orchestra in his early days in North Dakota.

Edward and his younger brother, William George, came to North Dakota in 1901. They came as far as Devils Lake by train, but the line ended there. They bought a team of horses and wagon, and continued the trip to Granville, staking claims in Egg Creek Township in 1902.

Edward's claim was in Egg Creek Township 156, Range 79, Section 4. His claim was proved up by 1906, and his brother's was proved up at about the same time.

William built his home with lumber shipped from Wisconsin. He also had 12x12 moving timbers, which many of his neighbors used in moving their buildings to new sites.

The two brothers did custom threshing in the fall, covering a large area around Granville, North Dakota. Their first engine was a live steam engine, which was manned by Edward, while William handled the thresher. Threshers were valuable items so, in order to guard against theft, Edward and William often slept with the thresher.

The two brothers ran a cook and bunk house with his rig for many years. Their long-time cook was Mrs. Hall, the sister of Mrs. Agnes Hunter. In 1925, the brothers bought their first gasoline-powered engine, a 15-30 tractor.

In 1903, Mary Brummond, Edward and William's mother, came to McHenry County, North Dakota, along with her youngest son, Charley O. Her other son, Frank, came with his wife, Millie. They filed homesteading claims in Gilmore Township, while Millie filed a separate claim in Saline Township, nine and a half miles north of Granville. She later moved her small home to Granville, and it became the Westland Oil Gas Station.

Mary Brummond's farmstead was later moved to Frank H. Brummond's farmstead, and was later used by Charley and his family.

Mary Brummond’s Farm

Edward and William built claim shanties on their land, which were later replaced by better homes. Ed lived in his shanty until 1915, later turning it into the southern part of a long granary. In 1915, he bought the Chamberlain home, twelve miles north of Granville, which had been built by Chris Freese in 1903. His new home had five rooms, some of which were used as classrooms before the rural school houses were built.

Edward married Margaret Carty on June 22, 1916. They were married in Towner, North Dakota. Margaret had been born in Algona, Iowa in 1896, living there for about three years before moving, with her parents, William and Nettie MacMurray, to Bloomington, Minnesota. They lived there for about two years, then moved to North Dakota, where she received her education and lived her life within three miles of her parent's home.

Ed and Margaret raised two children, who were both educated in the Egg Creek Township and Granville area, graduating from Granville High School. Their children were Bernice and Charles. Bernice Brummond Stanley had one son, John Robert.

Edward Brummond was active in Egg Creek as a township board supervisor. He also served on the McHenry County jury several times, and was a member of the Granville Co-op Creamery. Margaret served on the Egg Creek school board, and was active in the Saline Baptist Ladies Aid Society, the Egg Creek Alfalfa Mead Club, and was on the board of the telephone company.

The family attended the Saline Baptist Church, as well as the Holiness Methodist Church in Granville.

Edward passed away at his Egg Creek home in October of 1951. Margaret carried on well, and acquired more land before she died in February of 1963, after which their home was sold to Vernon Burghardi.

Mary, Frank, Herman, Helen, Charles and Anna Brummond

Born in Germany, Mary Elizabeth Paul Brummond immigrated to North Dakota in 1903, filing a homesteading claim three-fourths of a mile east of Edward and William Brummond's claims in Egg Creek Township. She lived there for awhile, in order to prove her claim, then moved in with her sons. Mary planted many of the trees on the Will Brummond farm.

brummondmaryhelenfrank

Mary's homesteading shack was moved to the Charley Brummond farm, which was first homesteaded by his brother, Frank. Charley homesteaded a mile and a half away, in Gilmore Township, moving to Frank's homestead when Frank moved his family to California in 1915.

Frank owned a Ford dealership in Trukee, California, and he also worked on oil drilling rigs and, when the company was unable to pay its workers, they were given the rigs in payment. They dug their first well and struck oil.

As the railroad moved westward, Mary took a job going ahead of the railroad crews, setting up hotels, rooming houses, and places for the railroad crews to eat while they were laying the tracks further westward.

Herman did not homestead in the Granville area, but moved further west. Helen married a man by the name of Daniel Parker, and made her home in California.

charlieannabrummond

Charley was born in 1883, while the family was at White, Brookings County, in the Dakota Territory. He died at the age of eighty-one, in 1955. His wife, Anna, was born in Glenwood City, Wisconsin, in 1894. She died at home near Denbigh in 1955, at the age of sixty-one.

Charley and Anna had five children. A daughter, Grace, and a son, Roger, died in infancy. The others were Dewey, Charles Jr., and Leroy.

William and Martha Brummond

William George Brummond was born at White, Brookings County, Dakota Territory, in January of 1880. His parents were August and Mary Brummond, who had immigrated from Germany to Wisconsin in 1858.

William had four brothers and one sister. His brothers were Frank, Herman, Edward and Charles. His sister was Helen.

William lived in White for a time, then returned to Wisconsin, where he and some of his brothers worked as loggers before coming to North Dakota in 1900. 

They came by train as far as Devils Lake, where the track ended, then bought a team of horses and a wagon, continuing on to Granville.

Filed in 1902, Will's homestead was known as Center Lane Stock Farm. They raised cattle, and farmed for grain. The farm was in Saline Township 157, Range 79, Section 34, about seven miles north of Granville. William's brother, Edward, homesteaded across the road from him in Egg Creek Township.

Charles, Edward and William walked to Towner several times to attend to paper work required for proving up their homestead claims, which was done in 1906.

In 1910, William went by train to Wisconsin, where he married Martha Hehman at her parent's farm in Sugar Bush on June 22, 1910. He brought her home to the Granville area, where they lived until his death on March 3, 1964.

Martha was the daughter of Margaret Ruchdashell, who had been born in Bavarian County, Germany, and Gerhardt Hehman, a native of Utrecht, Holland. Her parents had immigrated to Wisconsin in the 1850s.

brummondhome1910

Martha was born on July 5, 1880 at Sugar Bush, Wisconsin. One of her brothers, Lawrence, spent several summers at their home in Granville.

William worked as a stone mason, laying the rock used to build the Granville Bank in 1906. He and his brother, Edward, did custom threshing for several years in the area north of Granville. Ed manned the live steam engine, while Will handled the thresher.

William and his brothers all played string instruments, performing for several dances in the Upham, Bantry and Granville area. Will played guitar with a string orchestra up until around 1912.

William Brummond was a Saline Township board member, and was asked to run for county commissioner and as a state representative, declining because he believed he was not well enough educated for these offices.

In his lifetime, Will owned only two cars. The first was a Model T, and the second was a 1931 Chevrolet.

marthabrummond

William made a trip to Idaho to pick up lumber to be shipped to Granville for the purpose of building a large barn on his farm. The barn was built large enough that his entire winter supply of hay was enclosed in the hay mow, which was on the north side of the building, while the south side housed his cattle and horses.

Will also owned large 12x12 moving timbers that were used by several of his neighbors for moving buildings from one site to another.

Martha was a member of the Saline Baptist Church, where she taught Sunday School for several years. She also served as the church organist. She was an avid gardener, growing sweet corn, as well as maintaining a large strawberry patch.

After the death of her husband in 1964, Martha stayed on at the farm until she moved to Deering to live with her son, Maynard, and his wife, until her death on October 26, 1973.

Maynard and Violet Brummond

William and Martha Brummond had one son, Maynard William Brummond, who was born on the family farm on November 30, 1911. He grew up on the farm, attending Saline Township schools, graduating from Granville High School.

Maynard started a garage on his parent's farm, repairing cars and doing welding. He also pounded plow lays, and sharpened them. He made his first welding machine himself using carbide for gas.

His first new car was a 1929 Model A Roadster. Prior to that, he had made himself a car using salvaged parts from other cars and putting them together. His second car was a 1936 Ford.

Maynard married Violet Merle Hamilton on December 27, 1932, and they lived on their parent's farm, where he ran his shop until moving to Towner in 1939.

Violet was born in Princeton, Minnesota in 1916. Her mother was Mary Edith (Wheeler) Hamilton, and her father was Everett Edward Hamilton. They moved to Granville in 1919, making their home three miles southwest of Granville, where they lived until their deaths. Everett died in 1961.

Maynard and Violet lived in Towner for several years, where he ran a shop in the rear of Ben Fakens store. Later, he moved to the east side of Towner, where he ran another shop.

Maynard and Violet moved to Granville, where he bought a garage and gas station, near the fire hall, that had previously been owned by Walt McCloskey. For several years, they operated Vi's Cafe.

Around 1951, Maynard extended his garage from the existing building south to the corner of the block. However, in October of 1956, it was destroyed by fire.

Maynard moved to Surrey, where he worked for Bennie Voeller at his garage for several years, then bought a garage in downtown Surrey. In 1961, Maynard moved to Deering, where he ran an garage until 1963, when he and his wife established a grocery store, known as Vi's Market.

Maynard and Violet had six children. They were Leslie, Arlyn, Valda, Sandra, Mylen, and Daria.

© 2012-2013 NODAK.info