Briefs

Next

Almer Aanson Family

Almer Aanson was born at Marshalltown, Iowa on July 17, 1885. When he was four, he moved with his parents to a farm in South Dakota. In 1913, he came to a farm near Riga with his mother. He married Selma Martinson at Towner on September 19, 1914. They farmed in South Dakota from 1919 to 1926, returning to Riga to farm until 1945, retiring from farming in 1954. They had nine children: Nels, Norman, Edward, Harry, Sena, Mildred, Annie, Carol, and Delores.

John Barnett Family

John Barnett and Mary Keel were married in England a few years before immigrating, and moving to Britt, Iowa. They came to North Dakota in 1901 and homesteaded on the south side of Buffalo Lodge Lake in Egg Creek Township, Section 24. Their son, Victor, homesteaded in Granville Township, Section 8, one mile south and ½ mile west of Granville. They had five children: Florence, William, Victor, Lillian, and Frank.

Charles Belnap Family

Charles Belnap married Mary Miller. He was employed in the coal mine at Williston. They moved to Granville, where he ran a drayline. Their children were Florence, Herbert, Charles, and Marjorie. The Belnaps left the McHenry County area in the 1930s.

John Blair Family

Mr. and Mrs. John Blair homesteaded three miles west and 1 ½ miles south of Granville. After living on the farm for a number of years, they moved into Granville. They had one son, Paul.

Jack Bowles Family

Jack had a barber shop in Granville in the early years. He married Leta Smith, a telephone operator. Jack and Leta homesteaded one mile west of Granville.

Henry Brabanddt Family

Henry and Ingelborg Brabanddt homesteaded in Wager Township first, then moved near Granville in 1905, farming for many years on a place four miles south and one and a half miles east of Granville. They moved into town in 1948, where they remained until their deaths, leaving their son, Alvin, with the farm. Their children were: Berget, Ida, Henry, Alvin, Mildred, Harold, and Irene.

Sam Brady Family

Sam and Laura Brady came from Siloam Springs, Arkansas. They took out a homestead claim in Saline Township on land where the Methodist Church was later built, to the north of their home. Across the road, to the south, was a post office and store run by Arthur Thomas. It was a stage stop, and Sam had the land office. One of his jobs was to take homesteaders around to see the land.

Bert Carver Family

Bert and Mildred Carver, with their children, Fred Bernard and Florence, arrived in the Granville, North Dakota area, and Mildred taught school four miles south of Granville.

Lester Cox Family

Mr. and Mrs. Lester Cox came from Kingston, Missouri in 1915, settling in Saline Township, McHenry County, North Dakota. They farmed there for a number of years. Their children were: Fred, Wilbert, and Lenore. They moved back to Missouri in the 1930s. Lester Cox passed away in 1951, and Mrs. Cox died in 1965.

William Craig Family

Mr. and Mrs. William Craig came to Granville in the early days, farming in the Granville area. William ran a steam engine at threshing time and when the first school house was built, he was the janitor, holding that position for many years. Their children were: Maude, who died a few years after coming to Granville, Sally, Reece, and Genieve.

Dr. J.S. Davies

Dr. Davies was a native of Wales. He came to America with his parents in 1886, and graduated from Nebraska State University's medical department in 1903, and became one of the organizers of St. Helen's clinic. Dr. Davies was an early day physician, coming to Granville in the early 1900s. He was a general practitioner for about ten years prior to 1914. In Granville, he was active in civic and fraternal circles, including the Odd Fellows and Masonic lodges. He moved to Tacoma, Washington in 1914.

Sam Elston

Sam was born in South Hampton, England on May 29, 1888. He came to the United States in 1902 with his sister, Florence. He married Nellie Boutilier, and they farmed for many years in the Granville community. Their children were Ruth, Edith, Doris, Alfred, and Glen. Edith married Robert Ervin, Doris married Edmund Kukowski, and Alfred married Arlyss Cook. In 1961, the Elstons moved to Seattle, where Sam died in 1963.

George Erlandson Family

George Erlandson was born in Norway, coming to Kottke Valley, McHenry County, North Dakota in 1914. He married Emma Austad in North Prairie Lutheran Church on October 28, 1928. They farmed. Their children were Bernhard, Andrew, Gordon, Donald, George, and Karen. Their children were quite young when Emma died, on October 3, 1941, so her sister, Louise (Mrs. Ben Erlandson) raised them along with her own children (Kathleen, Ardith, and Loren).

Nels Fimreite Family

Nels Fimreite came from Norway. Olea Aaneson was thirteen when she came to the United States from Norway. Nels and Olea were married six months before they came to North Dakota in 1904, and bought a farm 1 ½ miles northwest of Norwich, in McHenry County. Seven children were born to their family. They were Arthur, Mabel, Clara, Adelade, Oscar, Morris, and Selmar. Mrs. Fimreite died at the age of sixty-eight, and Mr. Fimreite was eighty-seven when he passed away.

Robert Fowler Family

Robert Fowler was born in Inverness, Scotland. Estella Bailey was born in Marshell, Missouri. Robert and Estella were married, and moved to Granville, North Dakota, where Robert was the general contractor and head stone mason during the construction of the Granville Bank, made from native prairie rock. Mrs. Fowler passed away on September 10, 1904. Mr. Fowler died on October 12, 1948. Their daughter was named Estella.

Mrs. George Griffin

Della Carr was born near Melbourne, Ontario, Canada on May 24, 1871. While she was a small child, she moved with her parents to Prince Edward Island, Canada and, at the age of twelve, she moved with her family to Leonard, North Dakota, where they homesteaded. As a young woman, she was married to William Cowan, who died in 1917. They had one son, Lee. In February, 1923, she married George Griffin of Granville. Mrs. Griffin was a member of the Presbyterian Church, but for many years she attended Sunday School and services at Hope Congregational Church. Mrs. Griffin died on January 13, 1939.

Henry Gutterman

Henry came to Granville, North Dakota with his parents as a young man in early 1900. He assisted his father in farming, later picking up the trade of painting and paper hanging. Then, for many years, he ran the pool hall in Granville. Herman died on August 27, 1941.

Bertinus Hagboe Family

Bert Hagboe was born on August 27, 1902. Before coming to Granville in 1914, he had been employed in Bismarck. He married Bertha Stenbakken on June 29, 1941, and purchased the business known as the Medicine Chest from M.A. Beecher, which was in a building that later became Jones Hardware, then Smette's Hardware. He moved to the Berwick-Barton area, where he farmed.

Ben T. Herbranson

Born at Hallingdahl, Norway on September 12, 1870, Ben came to America with his parents when he was one year old. The family settled in Estherville, Iowa. Ben came to Granville as a young man in 1901. A stonemason by trade, he constructed many foundations for businesses and homes in the Granville area. In January of 1904, he married May Arnor and, shortly after his marriage, he moved to Minot, where he was employed by the Great Northern Railroad for about fifteen years. After that, they bought land in Stanley, farming there for nearly twenty years. On October 6, 1938, Ben passed away.

Irma Allen Higgins

Irma was born on August 1, 1902 at Knox, and grew up in Granville, graduating from Granville High School in 1920. She also graduated from Minot State College, and was one of the first seven students to receive a Bachelor of Arts degree from MSC. She married Earl Higgins on November 15, 1930. He farmed near Sarles. Earl and Irma Higgins had one daughter, Alinda, who married George Bassingthwaite. Earl died on December 13, 1968. Irma moved into Cando in 1970, and passed away in May of 1976.

Nels Hillerud Family

The Hillerud family came from Dacotoah, Iowa in 1917. They moved to Deering, where their son, Stener, met them in a wagon. The family lived at the Theodore Tollifson residence until they moved to a farm north of Denbigh. Their children were Stener and Ole (twins) and Marie.

Lewis Hills Family

The Lewis Hills homestead was Section 15, SE ¼ Egg Creek Township, McHenry County, North Dakota. He married LuLu Loomis, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Loomis. They were the parents of three sons: Lee, Earl, and Cecil. Lee became the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Knight-Rider Newspapers Association in Minot in 1976, and is a Pulitzer Prize winner.

Hookway Family

Coming in the early days, Mr. and Mrs. Hookway practiced law in Granville for many years, leaving the area in the 1930s. They had one daughter, Myrtice, who married Clarence Cox.

Mrs. Otto Janke

Born Florence Mary Rowe on July 27, 1984, she came to North Dakota in a covered wagon, with her parents, in 1901. The family settled in Saline Township, McHenry County. In June, 1912, she married Clarence Leach. They had six children: Alvin, Richard, Francis, Myrtle-Irene, Mary Margaret, and Albert William. The last three children, and their father, preceded their mother in death. Mr. Leach died on June 5, 1923. In 1928, Mrs. Leach married Otto Janke, and they were the parents of three children: Isabell, Harold and Elsie. Other than brief intervals away, Mrs. Janke made her home in Granville since 1918. She died when she was forty-four years of age.

August Johnson

There was a bachelor who lived southwest of Granville. He had come to North Dakota from the East, and would tell anyone who would listen that he didn't like North Dakota, and that he was returning East the first chance he got. No one paid much attention to him but, in January one year, neighbors going by his place noticed that August had painted, on his barn, in large letters: THE FIRST OF MARCH WILL SEE THE LAST OF AUGUST. Those who saw it thought it to be quite a cryptic message, and joked about it a great deal. But as the warm weather came in the middle of March, people began to notice that August Johnson's place seemed very quiet. Looking further, they found no one at home. Johnson was gone, headed East, no doubt. Indeed, the 1st of March did see the end of August. He never returned.

Sam Jones Family

Sam and Emma Lucy Jones came from Wisconsin with their children, Clinton Arthur, Marion Lena, and Mabel Edna. Another child, Rollin Edson had died in his crib on July 4th. In 1892, the family headed for the prairies of North Dakota. First they settled in Ramson County, eight miles from Lisbon. Two girls were added to the family there: Gertrude and Hazel. Their home burned, and they moved a half mile to another home. On March 28, 1900, Emma died. Same moved to McHenry County and filed a homestead claim in Layton Township, building a one-room house to serve as the family's new home. Ten years later, Clinton married Viola Hartman and took over the farm. Sam moved a short distance away, to Gilmore Township, later moving to Granville. Clinton and Viola remained on the farm for a number of years. Their children were: Earl, Herbert, Ira, James, Dorothy, and Verna and Virgil, who were twins. In 1951, Ira and Anna moved into Granville, buying the hardware store from Alton Long, living in the apartment behind the store while their home was being built. Their children were: Dennis, Mylo and Daryl. Clinton and Viola moved into Granville in 1953, and Clinton passed away in 1954.

Ed Kemp Family

Ed Kemp homesteaded in the early 1900s in Norwich Township, McHenry County, North Dakota. He married Zora Richards. She homesteaded one mile south of Granville. Their children were Mary, Zona, Kathryn, Charolette, Margaret, and Allen.

John Kemp

John "Jack" Kemp homesteaded in Norwich Township, McHenry County, North Dakota in the early 1900s. He married Florence, sister to Sam Elston. Their children were Gladys and Ralph.

Charles R. Kendall

Mr. Kendall came to Granville in the early 1900s to assume the operations of the Herald, succeeding C.H. Peck, the founder. In 1920, Mr. Kendall disposed of his interests, and moved to St. Maries, where he purchased the Gazette, and later the Record, consolidating the publications as the St. Maries Gazette Record. In Granville, he was a member of the Masonic Order and its several branches, having first made his affiliation in Granville, and being a past worshipful master of Ashlar Lodge in Granville. He died on January 12, 1939.

Doctor Kolb

Dr. and Mrs. F.K. Kolb came to the Granville community in 1914 from Sheboygan, Wisconsin. He had a doctor's office on the corner where the Granville Pioneer Bank building was later located. Dr. Kolb practiced medicine in Granville for twenty-five years. The Kolbs had three children: Fredrick, Donald, and Kathryn. Fredrick became a doctor. Donald married Ruth Wagner, and Kathryn married Victor Wagner. When Dr. Kolb hurt his leg, confining him to office practice, his son, Dr. Fredrick Kolb, came to help, and remained to practice medicine in Granville for a year (1936-1937). Dr. and Mrs. Kolb moved to Spokane and St. Paul before returning to Sheboygan. Dr. Kolb died on November 3, 1967; Mrs. Kolb preceeded him in death.

Carl Krogfoss Family

Carl and Jessie Krogfoss lived in Granville, North Dakota, where he worked at the Merchants State Bank. Almada Woodall stayed at the Krogfosses, and went to high school. Carl and Jessie Krogfoss had two children, Oswald and Wayne. The family moved to Minneapolis when the bank closed.

Rangvald and Christina Larson Family

Christina's father, Mr. Aamunson, homesteaded in Granville Township. He sent money to Norway so that Rangvald and Christina could come to the United States. The Larsons came to North Dakota in 1906, along with their three children, Jorgens, Hedrick, and Thora. Their fourth child, Nels, was born in Granville, McHenry County, North Dakota.

Jack Leavy Family

Jack Leavy and his wife, Mary, came to Granville, North Dakota in the early days. Jack ran the confectionery store for many years until it burned. Mary ran the post office, as did their son, Robert, later on. Jack and Mary's children were Josephine, Robert, and Mary.

George Lippman Family

Mr. and Mrs. George Lippman homesteaded in Egg Creek Township, McHenry County, North Dakota in early 1900. George ran the Imperial seed house, lumber yard, and elevator. He built the Methodist church, which later became the Lutheran church. The Lippmans had six children: Ed, Arthur, Charles, Orlan, Clara, and George Jr.

Irving Loomis Family

Laurene Wilcox was born on October 31, 1886 at Charles City, Iowa. She came to North Dakota in the early 1900s. She taught school in the Egg Creek Township schools for a number of years. On December 23, 1908, she married Irving Loomis, moving to his farm. In the fall of 1933, they moved to Washington, returning to their farm in a couple of years. In the fall of 1938, they again went to Washington and didn't return. Their children were Grace, Florence, Floyd, and Melvin.

William Loomis Family

Mr. and Mrs. William B. Loomis and their children, Lulu, Everett, Cecil, Irving, Blanche, and Frances, came from Iowa in 1902, and homesteaded a claim in Egg Creek Township, in Section 10. Everett filed his own claim, which joined his father's on the south. Mr. Loomis held offices within Egg Creek Township, and Lulu was the first teacher at a school located in Section 3, north of the Barkus home. She was the one who suggested the name, "Egg Creek". The creek ran through her father's homestead, and in many places it was shaped like an egg.

Hans Lovro Family

Hans and Oline Lovro were both born in Norway. They came first to Minnesota, moving to Bone Trail in 1919. They moved to the Granville, North Dakota area in 1937. Their children were: Justin, Mabel, Helga, Alpha, and Olga. Hans and Oline lived in the Granville community for several years.

August Lueck Family

August Lueck was born in Posen, Germany in 1879. Mrs. Lueck was a native of Norway. They were married in Britton, South Dakota in 1905, after which they farmed in Riga Township, McHenry County, North Dakota. The Luecks had six children: Harry, Sally, Alice, Mabel, Mary, and Ella.

Walter Martin

Mr. Martin was a resident of Granville for fifteen years before moving to Bottineau with his family in 1939. He was employed by the city of Granville, and became a farmer in the Bottineau area. On July 11, 1925, he married Miss Princess Irwin, and they were to have three sons: John, George, and Eldon. He died on June 4, 1939.

Ed McCloskey Family

Ed and Myra McCloskey and their two sons, Lloyd and Lester, came from Downing, Missouri in 1911. They moved to the Frank Wallace place, which was two miles south and two miles west of Granville, North Dakota. Later, they bought a farm from the Burlingames, two miles west in Norwich Township. Lloyd married Velma Henscher, and Lester married Dorothy Robinson. The family remained on the farm until Ed passed away in 1944, after which Myra moved into Granville and worked at the Model Cafe for a number of years.

David McKay Family

Born in Ontario, Canada, on August 1, 1870, David came to North Dakota and lived in Hunter, in Cass County, for some time. He married Margaret Cash, and lived in Blanchard, North Dakota for a few years, then came to Granville in 1905. David bought the J.H. Leavy Confectionery, but then resold it to Mr. Leavy and established a recreational parlor, continuing in that business for the rest of his life. David and Margaret had two children, Loretta and Mable. Loretta married Rudolph Olson and Mable married S.N. Olson. David McKay died on May 21, 1942. He was seventy-two.

Thomas McMahon Family

Mr. and Mrs. Thomas McMahon came from Britt, Iowa, and homesteaded six miles southeast of Granville in Granville Township, McHenry County, North Dakota, where they farmed all of their lives. Their children were Mike, Agnes, Kate, Joe, John, Francis, Leo, Lawrence, Ray, Mary, and Margaret.

McNichols Family

Clarence Burr married Florence McNichols, and went into the hardware store business with Frank Bacon, running a hardware store in Granville, North Dakota. Dorothy Good stayed at the Burr's and she married Alex Krefting.

Mrs. M. Molden

Martha Maria Evenson-Molden was born in Lillehammer, Norway on September 4, 1858. She emigrated to the United States in 1878, and soon settled in Mayville, North Dakota. There she was married to Gilbert G. Molden. They had six children. Mr. Molden died in 1900. From Mayville, she came to Norwich, where she homesteaded in 1901. She made that her home until three years before her death, when she moved to Granville. She was active in the Lutheran Church, and was a member of Granville Chapter No. 47, Order of the Eastern Star. She was eighty-one when she passed away.

William Murphy Family

William "Bill" Murphy married Mabel Kelsey, and their children included Faye, Donna, Kathryn, James, William, Verne, Paul, and Mona.

Ira Nead Family

Mr. and Mrs. Ira Nead homesteaded in Granville Township, McHenry County, North Dakota. Their children were Grace and Violet.

Nichols Family

James Robert and Vesta Nichols homesteaded in Norwich Township, Section 1, McHenry County, which was three miles west of Granville, North Dakota. The Nichols had one son, who they named Homer.

Henry Nienaber Family

Henry Nienaber married Rose Christman, and came from Centralia, Missouri. They bought land from Urlick Thorson, south of Elmer Everson's land. In 1920, they lived on a farm two miles south of Granville, then they moved to another local farm, which they farmed for a number of years. Again they moved, building up a farm. They had three children: Lawrence, Jewel, and Violet.

Ole and Pete Olson

Pete Olson ran the hardware store in Granville, North Dakota in 1900. His brother, Ole, who homesteaded in Granville Township, worked for him. Ole, his wife, and family, lived next door to the Hookways, and later had a repair shop. Ole's children were Sylvia, Roy and Swante.

Charles Osgood Family

Charles and Ellen Osgood ran the restaurant in Granville, North Dakota in 1910. They left, going to Minnesota by covered wagon, then returning to Granville, where they continued in the restaurant business and farming. In the early 1930s, they moved further west. Their children were Henry and Viola.

Herman Otto

Herman was born on January 16, 1876. He came to North Dakota in 1901, settling on a farm about fifteen miles northeast of Granville. His father, a Civil War veteran, was an early resident of the same area.

Guy Palsey Family

Guy Palsey married Doris Beecher while he was fighting in World War I. Doris died in 1918 during the birth of their son, Clifford. Relatives took the baby to care for. Clifford was killed during World War II.

Raymond Peterson Family

Raymond Peterson married Estella Fowler. They had one child, Joe. Raymond was a rural mail carrier for many years. He contracted leukemia and died. Sometime later, Estella married Stanton Covell. He died on August 8, 1969.

Severt Plumberg Family

Mr. and Mrs. Severt Plumberg homesteaded in Granvillel Township, one mile south and one mile west of Granville, where they farmed for several years. Their children were Rosie, Clara, Emma, Tennie, and Johnnie.

Rader Family

M.E. and Marie Rader came from Kramer, North Dakota, and ran the drug store on the corner. Mr. and Mrs. Melville had a sweet shop next door. The Raders had one child, Arlyss. After the drug store burned, they moved to Quebec, Canada.

Ben Ratliff Family

Mr. and Mrs. Ben Ratliff homesteaded in Deering Township for a few years, then moved to Granville, McHenry County, North Dakota, living in town. Ben Ratiliff worked for Standard Oil Company and, in 1921, he had the first horse-drawn Stanley Oil tank in the community. Ben went into partnership with John Kvame, Emil Everson, and John Holum to form the Mouse River Loop Oil Company.

Frank Richard Family

Frank Richard married Ada Kelsey, and their children included Kathleen, Elaine, Dorothy, Melba, James, William, Ralph, and Theodore.

R.L. Richardson Family

R.L. Richardson married Augusta Schroeder, a sister of Mollie Stubbins. In the early 1900s, he ran the elevator in Granville. He and his wife took part in church and civic affairs.

William Sandrey Family

Mr. and Mrs. William Sandrey homesteaded in Granville Township, where they farmed until Mr. Sandrey died. Their children included Ethel, Gladys, Verna, Lillian, Wiliam, and Josephine. Some time after William's death, Mrs. Sandrey married Fred Grey.

Sanger Family

Daniel P. Sanger and his wife homesteaded in Granville Township, Section 20, two miles south of Granville, in McHenry County, North Dakota. The Sangers had a dressmaking shop in Granville. They had two daughters: Hattie and Tennie.

James Scholl Family

James Scholl and his brothers, Nollie, Harry and Frank, came from Centralia, Missouri. Nollie ran the drayline. Carrie Christman came from Centralia and homesteaded south of Poison Lake, which is south of Denbigh, in the early 1900s. She and James Scholl were married, after which they moved to the Jack Boles farm, one mile west of Granville, in 1912. In 1921, they moved to the Frank Bacon farm on the Mouse River. Later, they moved to a farm south of Towner. James became sheriff of McHenry County in 1930.

Sheggeby Family

Mr. and Mrs. O.O. Sheggeby ran the general store and the first horse-drawn elevator in Granville, North Dakota. They had two children, Orville and LaVerne. The Sheggeby family left Granville in the 1930s to move to California.

A.P. Simmonson Family

A.P. and Annie Simmonson came to Granville in 1902 from Brownsville, Minnesota. A.P. was an implement dealer, and ran the Farmers Store. He worked for the Bank of North Dakota, and was the receiver for closed banks. The Simmonsons were active in church and community affairs. They had two children, Ralph and Charlotte. Ralph died in 1918. A.P. died in 1938, and Annie died in 1968.

Nick Sitter Family

Nick Sitter was born in Russia in 1890. He came to America in 1900. Helen Burckhard was also born in Russia, in 1892. She came to the United States with  her parents, who settled in Berwick, North Dakota. Nick and Helen were married at Berwick in 1912, remaining there until 1917, when they moved to Montana. A fire destroyed their buildings in Montana, so they returned to Berwick in 1919, moving to Hendrickson Township, McHenry County, North Dakota, in 1920, where they farmed and remained. Helen died in November of 1943 at the age of fifty-one. They were parents to eight children: Martena, Joe, Rose, Mike, Theresa, Tony, Marion, and Daniel.

Afton Swanson

Afton was born in Minot in 1903. As a young man, he lived at Riga, where is father, A.V. Swanson, operated a ranch. In June of 1929, Afton married Ruth Scholl. They lived in Granville before moving to California in 1941. He and his wife had seven children. She died in 1958, and Afton died in September of 1959.

Henry William Thompson Family

Henry was born at Mount Tabor, Virginia on April 21, 1868, and spent the first seventeen years of his life there. In 1885, he moved, with his family to Missouri, where they resided for a year. From there, they came to what was then the Dakota Territory. In 1902, he homesteaded with his mother in Riga, where he lived for thirty-seven years, serving on the Riga Township board since the township was organized, and still held that office on the day of his death. He also served on the Riga Township school district board for many years. He was a member of the M.E. Church of Riga. He died on April 10, 1939, at the age of seventy.

James Toliaferro Family

James and Elizabeth Toliaferro came from Sweet Springs, Missouri with relatives and friends. They homesteaded in Saline Township, northeast of Granville, later moving to Egg Creek Township, five miles north of Granville. Their children were Hettie and Robert. Hettie married Dell Barkus, and Robert married Ethel Allen.

Mrs. Nora Victel

Nora was born in Denbigh, North Dakota in 1887, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Axel Lyng. In 1907, she married Olaf Victel, and they resided in Kindred, Tolley, and Granville, North Dakota for several years. In 1935, they moved to Cut Bank, Montana, where Mr. Victel died in 1951. While in Granville, Mrs. Victel was active in the First Lutheran Church and a member of the Royal Neighbors of America. She passed away on May 23, 1962 in Montana.

Frank Wallace Family

Frank and Agnes Wallace homesteaded two miles south and two miles west of Granville, McHenry County, North Dakota. After a few years, they moved into Granville, where Frank worked as a rural mail carrier for many years. Frank and Agnes had three children: Lucille, Eileen, and Frances.

Peter Winkelman Family

Mr. and Mrs. Peter Winkelman came from Larchwood, Iowa to homestead in Saline Township, McHenry County, North Dakota in 1901. They were charter members of the Christian Church in Saline Township in the early days, which later became the Saline Baptist Church. Both were active in church work, and Mr. Winkelman held offices on township and school boards. He helped to incorporate the Saline Telephone Company. Mrs. Winkelman was a member of the Alfalfa Meade Club and the Saline Baptist Ladies Aid Society. They were the parents of six children: Ada, Arthur, Elizabeth, Roy, and Frances. A daughter, Alma, died as a child.

Wintermute Family

Louise Boulds was born in Centralia, Missouri on September 9, 1883, coming to North Dakota with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Theopholis Boulds, in April of 1901. They were early homesteaders north of Granville, McHenry County, North Dakota. On August 7, 1906, Louise married George Wintermute at Towner. Following their marriage, they farmed west of Granville. Louise was a member of the Saline Baptist Church and the Ladies Aid Society. George died on February 25, 1948.

Ed Woolridge Family

Mr. and Mrs. Ed Wooldridge came to Granville in the early days, running a lumber yard and handling coal. Their marriage produced five children: Harold, Elenore, Edith, John, and Mary.

© 2012-2013 NODAK.info